Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Customization

Roberts refers to the NikeiD website as an example of customizing a product (105). Nike is an international brand and caters to a variety of markets. Upon entering the site, I was asked about my language preference and then my country of residence. Nike is already targeting what products I see based on two simple profiling questions asked as I enter the site (Roberts 208).

I (and presumably many other visitors) had a lot of fun experimenting with the shoe customization. The interactive nature of the activity kept me on the site and playing around with colors, laces and accents. This interactivity definitely increases the stickiness of the NikeiD site (Roberts 103).

Other sites could capitalize on the customization, although the back end product creation must be concrete before starting any kind of program. For example, Spam could customize labels to include a persons face on the can of spam. M&M's did just that by allowing people to purchase candy customized with a short message. These unique uses of customization may cost the consumer (and the producer) a few extra dollars, but the interactivity has the power to draw in customers and keep them on the site longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment