When I revisited Chapter 7 in Roberts, I started wondering how other websites are developing their email campaigns. Specifically, I wondered about collecting customer data.
To sign up for the fan club, Spam.com asks for name, address, phone and some demographic data. The additional demographic data includes birth year, gender, age of head of household, number of children and household size. This data is an important way to have insight into customers. (Roberts 188)
Based on my profile, Spam.com can learn about my needs and what I might value. (Roberts 188) For example, they wouldn't want to send me information about how to make spam fun for kids since there are no children living in my household. They might conclude that since I'm a female, I would be interested in receiving recipes. Or, since I'm a young adult, I may be more interested in connecting via social media.
Profiles also give Spam.com a great opportunity to segment the list based on what they've learned about their customer's needs and interests. Segmenting is a marketers best friend because it allows targeted marketing; much more effective than sending a blanket email to all constituents. (Roberts 189)
One recommendation for Spam.com is that they add some preferences to the account page. This is a great place to find out if visitors have specific interests in cooking with spam or if they are checking out the site for fun. I recommend that Spam.com do an overview of what they have to offer, assess how that matches up with customer needs, and then offer additional information through preference check boxes on the account page.
No comments:
Post a Comment