Monday, September 27, 2010

ModernMedicine.com

I worked for six years in the B2B industry. One of the projects I worked on was developing and implementing the marketing to build the customer base on modernmedicine.com. This is a website that validates physicians against the American Medical Association database and provides a unique community of content for physicians only.

In reading about ad serving in Robert (163) I started thinking about how we served ads to those physicians. When I left the company, we were starting to work with a third party company to develop a more complex logic to serve ads to users based on what their behavior on the site. (Roberts 166)

Modernmedicine.com Already had the basics down - if a urologists logs in and views articles on urology, ads related to that field would display. If no industry specific ads were waiting in the wings, a general ad geared towards the physician would be served. What we were working towards was being able to serve ads based on that physician's behavior. For example, a urologist may login and read an article about HIV, then watch a video about brain surgery. The more in depth they got into the site, the better we could serve ads.

At the time, I didn't know the technical terms for ad serving. Now I can tie in the strategic goals with the technical terms. I hope they've been successful in implementation!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. Eventually, there will be a seamless system marrying search with ad serving that goes beyond simple text search. The analysis of phrases yields sentient interpretation such that not only will ad-servers know what you are looking for, but they will know how you feel about it. This will be especially important for mobile and social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting. I can imagine with time there will be ad serving that will be exponentionally stronger that what we can even conceive at this time. This kind of software will definately fall in line with M.L. Roberts comments about being able to serve a customer even before the know they need something. To proactively and preemptively suggest and successfully sell products to consumers based of a matrix of past data coupled with current keystrokes is the future for marketing. It is a tad bit scary to be offered something before you even know you needed it... but if you needed it in the end anyway, is it that bad?

    ReplyDelete